Getting to know Marie Gomez -

09:56

Stunning, intelligent and talented everything a woman should be associated with,Marie Gomez featured in movies such as “The past came calling” which was directed by Ruke Amata where she worked alongside Nigeria’s top actors Chioma Chukwuka and John Dumelo, and she also featured in the most talked about Nollywood Comedy “London Na Wa ” produced in the UK and directed by Nelson Spyk.


A chat with the Nollywood actress while she was on set for a new movie coming out later on in the year, was pleasant she opened up and shared her amazing experience with myself in regards to her journey of becoming a house hold name -

B: Hello Marie! I have finally gotten hold of you with your busy schedules how have you been?

M:I'm fine thank you, very busy but blessed and thankful.

B: That's good to hear, progress is everything. Now let's talk, how did you get into acting, I mean your work comes off as effortless and natural?

M: Its something I've been doing for a while, something I have been doing since the age of nine. My cousin had a charity called join hands, it was more a less a family thing where we would help out those in Africa we would put on shows which included dramas where I would be the main actress and the money raised went to the charity.

B: When was your first professional acing job?

M: My first acting job was for a UK advert, I participated in the Barnardos advert. I enjoyed doing the advert because being on an actual set for Barnados made me realize that, that was what I wanted to do in terms of a life time career.

B: In terms of education did you study anything in relation to drama or improving your acting skills.

M: I did a creative and media diploma level 2 at ILE, it was a new course for young people. Initially it was hard, I mean doing acting, dancing, music and drama all in one, I had also taken up an extra drama class on the side.

B: I'm sure that must have taken a lot of energy and immense dedication. Where did you go on from there?

M: At the age of 16 I won Ruke Amatas talent hunt in the UK - winning the competition men that I would have a lead role in any Nollywood movie of my choice which as "The Past came Calling"

B: The movie was amazing, I mean you worked with big names John Dumelo who is such a talented male, and you had a lead role as Susan. How did you find working in that type of environment?

M: I can only put it one way "you either have it or you don't" It's a gift from God. Many individuals want to act but they don't understand the roles. I inherited the talent from my parents.

B: Nigeria, Nigeria, Nigeria (laughs) did you enjoy working in my home land I know your Gambian brought up in the UK, but relocating for work must have been something else...

M: Nigeria has been my stepping stone, so I will take the experience with me I'm happy and glad that I did work there to begin my acting career.

B: Are there any actors/actresses that inspire you?

M: I look at them differently. You know everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses, I'm inspired by all of them. They all have one thing that they do so well.

B: Now for relationships, do you have a relationship at the moment and do you have any Nigerian admirers?

M: Not available unfortunately for them (laughs), in fact I'm happy with where I am in regards to relationships.

B: Any advice you would like to give upcoming actors/actresses?

M: If it is because of money or the glamorous lifestyle I would say they are better off doing something else, the glamour makes people assume  that actors and actresses have money or that they are rich. To be successful in such an industry you have to have a strong mind, people I started with couldn't handle the pressure of the media. You can easily be influenced and it is really bad you just have to be strong, know where you are coming from and you know I keep in mind how hard me and my mother worked to get me here.

B: I would say that is quality advice and its good to know that you are humble even though you are constantly among the glitz and glam. Is there anything coming from you before the year comes to an end, I mean anything new for us to look forward to ?

M:  I'm releasing two movies by the end of this year, I have started a business called FTD - Female Take Over. It is about a group of leading women who are not recognized and ought to be acknowledged in whichever area of business they are in, so we will have conference where motivationl speakers will be giving advice, crusades and club nights.

B: Well that says it all you never stop when it come to yours dreams and aspirations, it was a pleasure speaking with you, thank you for being so open and welcoming and I wish you all the best in the near future.

M: Thank you or speaking with me.

You Might Also Like

0 comments